creative writing | fiction | memoir | flash
Forget all the rules. Forget about being published. Write for yourself and celebrate writing.
Sharing my creative & fiction writing is a relatively new experience for me. It was in finally sharing one of my short stories with my partner that gave me strength. Not because he gushed about how good it was, but because he let me know he recognised the words, the experience & the ideas. He connected with it and that bought me joy.
In search of joy, I share some of my fiction here.
Is it perfect? Absolutely not.
But life rarely is.
professional development | writerly things
Writing is a craft. It takes practice and commitment. The more I write - the more I carve out the time and space to commit to writing - the better it feels and the more I feel like I'm advancing towards creating the stories I want.
It feels good to allow time for something I've always dismissed as a 'little hobby'.
Some things I've particularly enjoyed over the past few years:
- Grammar Therapy - 4 week grammar course for fiction, 2019
- Write What You Know - 4 week writing course with WritersHQ, 2019
- Flash Fiction Fan Club - 8 week flash fiction writing course, 2018
- Write Drunk, Edit Sober - Half day self-editing workshop, 2018
- Melbourne Writers Week - Attendee, 2019
- Hobart Writers Festival - Attendee, 2019
- Australian Short Stories Festival - Attendee, 2018
- Feminist Writers Festival, Sydney - Attendee, 2018
- Perth Writers Festival - Attendee, 2017, 2018, 2019
'Love is the Greatest of Dreams, Yet the Worst of Nightmares'
Published: In forthcoming Geelong Writers Annual Anthology (Nov. 2019)
'Today I Dropped a Punnet of Blueberries'
Published: Online with Every Day Fiction
'Last Night I Saved a Moth From Drowning'
Published: Online & in Fall 7.3 issue of *82 Review print magazine
Memoir on the theme of 'Origins'
Published: Issue 5 of Boshemia print magazine.
Creative Non-Fiction Essay
'You Give Them Back to Where They Came From'
Short Story on the theme 'Ashes'
Awarded third place for the Writers HQ Quarterly Flash Fiction Prize. Published: Online & in a forthcoming anthology.
'Last Night I Saved a Moth from Drowning'
Awarded Highly Commended for the National Flash Fiction Day Prize. Published: Online & in And We Pass Through print anthology.
'Every Second Thursday'
Long listed for the Reflex Press Winter 2018 prize.
Published: Online & in The Real Jazz Baby print anthology.